I love good food, but day in and day out cooking can be a drag to me sometimes. Weeknight meals are generally simple ones that I can throw together quickly with what’s in the pantry. On weekdays, I try to eat my salad or veggies at lunchtime, in case I’m short at dinner (which, yes, sometimes happens for this dietitian). I also keep convenient items on hand, such as frozen shrimp, frozen peas, frozen bread dough, frozen onions and peppers, pasta, rice (including quick cooking rice), grain mixes, and quick cooking grits.
I’ll often use frozen shrimp as a protein to throw together with pasta and veggies. This week, I made this simple comfort dish, and thought I’d share it here.
Easy Cheesy Shrimp-N-Grits
1/2 cup Quick cooking Grits
pinch of salt
6 ounces Frozen shrimp
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup shredded smoked Gruyere or cheddar cheese
Freshly ground pepper
- Bring 2 1/4 cup water to boiling, adding salt if desired. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, cover, and occasionally stir (watch closely) to be sure grits aren’t sticking.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- While grits are cooking, heat medium pan until hot, add olive oil, onions and garlic, cook until the onions are soft, then add shrimp and sauté for about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
- After grits are done, remove from heat, and stir in shredded cheese until smooth.
- Spoon cheese grits into bowls, top with shrimp and cracked pepper.