In celebration of National Nutrition Month®, Wednesday is also Registered Dietitian Day®. Sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, this day highlights the role of the nation’s food and nutrition experts, registered dietitians (RDs). The Academy’s mission is to promote optimal nutrition and well being for all people while advocating for its more than 70,000 members. It’s the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. The majority of Academy members are registered dietitians (RD) and dietetic technicians, registered (DTR).
- Registered Dietitians are the food and nutrition experts who can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living.
- Registered Dietitians have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities, completed an internship and passed an examination.
- Registered Dietitians use their nutrition expertise to help individuals make unique, positive lifestyle changes.
- Registered Dietitians work throughout the community in hospitals, schools, public health clinics, nursing homes, fitness centers, food management, food industry, universities, research and as consultants in private practice.
- Registered Dietitians are advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world.
Have you counseled with a registered dietitian? Read any good books written by one? You can count on an RD for your nutrition facts. Look for the credential (RD) after the name the next time you read or reference food or nutrition information. Allow an RD to help you Get Your Plate in Shape!