March is National Nutrition Month®, a special month when registered dietitians-nutritionists (RDNs) send out extra special messages to consumers about healthy eating and lifestyle.
Each year the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics chooses a campaign theme. This year’s theme: “Bite into a Healthy Lifestyle®”.
Eating well plays a big role in health, but so do many other lifestyle choices. I think we are only beginning to understand the role stress plays on our bodies, for example. Taking good care of yourself means thinking about all of your lifestyle choices:
- Do you eat a healthy breakfast?
- Do you get enough sleep?
- Do you get some physical activity each day?
- Do you abstain from smoking or chew tobacco? (Work on quitting!)
- Do you allow yourself some free time to relax?
- Do you keep fresh fruits and vegetables in your home?
- Do you drink enough water?
- Do you include a vegetables in at least two meals a day?
Take time this month to consider these aspects of your life. Make time to set a few goals to improve your lifestyle, stress less, eat well, sit less, and move your body more. We all don’t have to eat identical diets – there is more than one way to eat a healthy diet – but we do need to slow down, keep our bodies moving, and take time for healthy meals. I just ate an orange, and am going to do some yoga later. It’s a revolving work in progress for all of us. Cheers.